ADVISORY: All of Halifax Peninsula, including 鶹’s three campuses, are currently under a boil water advisory until further notice. All water must be boiled for at least one minute if it will be used for drinking or any other activity requiring human consumption.


Admission requirements change according to your background and your situation. If you need help with any of these don’t hesitate to get in touch with our admissions office.

Check minimum admissions requirements.

Minimum admissions requirements depend on your background and your situation.

Applicants currently completing high school must submit a record of all studies from at least grade 10 onward. These transcripts should include at least mid-term or first semester grades for the graduating year.

All high school applicants must have completed grade 12 (or the highest grade level required for secondary graduation) with an average of 70% or higher, including a minimum grade of 70% in grade 12 English for university preparation. Advanced Placement (AP) courses with a grade of 4 or higher are eligible for transfer credit.

An International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum grade of 24 is acceptable for entry to 鶹. Higher Level courses with a grade of 5 or higher are eligible for transfer credit.

Quebec College d’Enseignement General et Professionnel (CEGEP) applicants must have completed at least one full year of a Diplôme d’études collégiales (DEC) with an overall average of 70% or higher. CEGEP students who have completed a two-year Diplôme d’études collégiales (DEC) will be considered for up to one full year of transfer credit. Quebec Grade 12 applicants must have an overall average of 70% or higher including a minimum grade of 70% in Grade 12 English. CEGEP students who have not had English courses at CEGEP must have received a grade of 70% or higher in their final year of high school English.

For those individuals studying toward the General Certificate of Secondary Education (e.g., in the United Kingdom, West Indies, Bermuda, East and West Africa, Hong Kong), the university requires a minimum of two subjects at the Advanced ‘A’ Level and three subjects at the Ordinary ‘O’ Level, with an overall average of “C” and no subject below a “D” grade. Two Advanced Standard (AS) Level courses may be used in place of one Advanced Level course.

International students will find a complete guide to admissions requirements and the application process on our International students admissions guide.

鶹 welcomes students who want to change their major, supplement their studies with an art focus or need to build a portfolio for another course of study. We are here to help you during the process to make sure the transfer is easy and seamless.

You are eligible for transfer credits if you have:

  • Completed Advanced Placement coursework
  • Completed International Baccalaureate courses
  • Done previous post-secondary studies, or
  • Are coming from an institution with an articulation, and pathway agreement with 鶹

Most transfer students come from college diploma or university feeder programs, while others transfer from related degree programs at other universities. Some switch to 鶹 to study a discipline not offered at their current school, or to study with a particular faculty member or facility unavailable elsewhere. Whatever your reason for transferring, we will recognize your prior experience and help you realize your undergraduate goals.

A Visiting student is an individual permitted to take courses at 鶹 for transfer of credit towards a degree/diploma program at another university of post-secondary institution.

Non-degree can be a great place to start exploring and taking credit courses without being enrolled in a degree program. It can also offer a great opportunity to explore different programs through introductory courses and build your portfolio.


Visiting students must submit a Letter of Permission from their home institution before they will be permitted to register.

Visiting Students should submit their documentation several weeks prior to being permitted to register, as all applications must be reviewed and this may take some time.

Non-degree students only need to submit their high school or/and university/college official transcript before they will be permitted to register. More details regarding transcript can be found under “Transcripts” sections in the next section at this page.

The following courses may be taken by Non-Degree and Visiting Students without signature/authorization. Welcoming Non-Degree and Visiting Students into courses must be balanced with a responsibility to assess their ability to succeed in the course(s).

AHIS: all classes unless a signature is required as prerequisite
CULT: all classes unless a signature is required as prerequisite

ARTS 1000 Fundamentals of Wood and Metal

FILM 1000 Moving Image
PHOT 1000 Photo

FNDN 1200 Introduction to Visual Culture
FNDN 1800 Writing for the Arts

DSGN 1000 Digital Tools for Designing
DSGN 2xxx level classes

PRTM 2213 Intro Book Arts (NOTE: This course rarely has space available.)
CRFT 2245 Tactile Notebooks and the Written Word
PRTM 2211 Letterpress Print
JWLY 2000 Intro Jewellery
JWLY 2100 Intro Holloware
TEXL 2000 Intro Weaving
TEXL 2200 Intro Screenprinting
TEXL 2100 Intro Resist Dye

We welcome exchange students from partner institutions who are interested in studying at 鶹 University! Join us by first submitting your application. As one of North America’s oldest art institutes, we have been an integral player in developing art school exchange programs around the world. Since 1972, the program has grown to include more than 70 partner institutions in 15 countries.


Students from partner institutions must have approval from their home institution to apply for exchange at 鶹.

The mobility coordinator at the home institution should send a notice of endorsement to the  Coordinator, Opportunity and Belonging  prior to student application. 

Note: Please be sure to select “exchange” study as opposed to “visiting” student status. Applications will be reviewed through the month of October for those wishing to study at 鶹 during the winter semester, and in the month of March for fall semester study.

We welcome people from all walks of life to join us at 鶹 University. Many mature students have found 鶹 University to be a great place to start fresh, build on their current skills or try something new. If you’re thinking about a change, 鶹 is a great place to begin.

A mature applicant is someone who:

  • is at least 22 years old
  • has never been enrolled in a full-time post-secondary institution
  • has been out of school for three years or longer
  • may or may not have graduated from high school


If reasonably possible, mature applicants are required to submit all official academic records of previous secondary and post-secondary study.

Mature applicants must also request that two letters of recommendation be submitted on their behalf.

Mature applicants are considered on a case-by-case basis and may not be held to the exact academic requirements stated in the academic calendar.

Mature applicants should apply to the Foundation Program.

Reminder: 鶹 University offers a discount of 40% to older adults (60+) enrolled in undergraduate classes.

All undergraduate applications

Every undergraduate application requires you to fill out our application form and pay the application fee. Then, as part of your application, you must:

Find all information related to English language requirements under the International Applications section.

Some programs ask you to provide additional documentation specific to their discipline. It’s your responsibility to check the program’s requirements (e.g. personal statements, letters of reference, or accrediations). Check the program pages to confirm specific documents or ask a member of the admissions team.

We want to get to know you! Write a brief one-page essay explaining who you are and the reasons why you’ve chosen 鶹. Your essay should discuss your prior experience and pathway to 鶹. You might also want to touch on the skills and knowledge that you hope to gain, and where you think your 鶹 education

might lead you in the future.

An academic record of current and previous study is required from all applicants. All transcripts must be received in the office mail (Office of Admissions, 5163 Duke Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3J6) or email ( directly from the issuing institution to be considered official.

Are you a Nova Scotia public high school student? Students who have attended or are currently attending Nova Scotia public high schools can have their transcripts

sent electronically to 鶹 University. Simply provide us with your Provincial Student ID number on your application form. The University will then be able to

access your most recent transcript and add it to your application documents.

See our section on assembling your portfolio for full details on how to compile and submit this.

Need help?

Contact our admissions team at any point in this process if you need help completing your application.